by Deborah S. Boroughs, RN, MSN, PA and Joan A. Dougherty, RN, BSN, CPN, CSN and Zoe A. Davies, RN, MSN, NP
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder. It is a chronic, multisystem disorder that reduces life expectancy. The primary manifestations include progressive obstructive lung disease and pancreatic insufficiency, but patients also may suffer from chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps, malnutrition, distal intestinal obstructive syndrome, diabetes, liver cirrhosis, pancreatitis, gallstones and infertility. To have cystic fibrosis, a child must inherit two abnormal cystic fibrosis genes, one from each parent. The parents usually have just one abnormal gene, are asymptomatic and are called carriers. Each time two carriers have a child, there is a 25% chance the baby will have cystic fibrosis, a 50% chance the baby will be a carrier and a 25% chance the baby will be healthy. This module provides updated information on the treatment and management of people with cystic fibrosis.
The goal of this cystic fibrosis continuing education module is to help nurses and physical therapists gain a deeper understanding of cystic fibrosis and the treatments available, as well as to become informed about the latest research. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe the basic defect that causes cystic fibrosis and how it affects different organ systems
- Identify three therapies for the management of pulmonary and GI disease in patients with cystic fibrosis
- Explain teaching and support responsibilities
- Discuss research on and the future of cystic fibrosis
This course is available free of charge until 11/30/13 at midnight EDT.
Click here to take this free course for Physical Therapists.
by Sandra B. Fielo, RN, BC, EdD and Catherine Ratliff, RN, PhD, GNP-BC, CWOCN, CFCN
Age-related change, years of wear and tear, inadequate care, use of poorly fitting footwear, increased weight and body mass index and the prevalence of medical conditions that affect the feet may result in disability, decreased mobility, diminished function and loss of quality of life. Healthcare providers as a team can reduce these problems by providing a comprehensive assessment, daily foot care and patient education.
The goal of this continuing education program is to enhance nurses’ and occupational therapists’ ability to recognize and care for older patients who have minor problems with their feet. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe age-related changes in feet
- Differentiate minor problems in feet from those requiring expert intervention
- Teach self-care practices as a health promotion strategy for healthy feet
This course is being offered for FREE until midnight EDT of 10/31/13.
Click here to take this free course for Occupational Therapists.
by Maureen Habel, RN, MA
Total joint replacement, or arthroplasty (the word arthroplasty comes from arthro, joint, and plasty, surgical shaping), is one of the most important surgical advances of the past century. In fact, there are few surgical procedures that have such a positive impact on quality of life. The purpose of this module is to provide healthcare providers with information about total hip and total knee replacements. The module discusses the effects of arthritis on weight-bearing joints, such as the knee and the hip; outlines indications for joint replacement; and summarizes medical management and surgical procedures for joint replacement.
The purpose of this joint replacement CE module is to provide healthcare providers, specifically nurses, health educators, emergency medical professionals/paramedics, occupational therapists, and physical therapists with information about total hip and total knee replacements, including the effects of arthritis on joints, indications for surgery and surgical management. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- Describe the effects of arthritis on the hip and knee joints
- State indications for total hip replacementand total knee replacement
- Discuss the surgical procedures used for hip and knee jointreplacements
This course for Physical Therapists is FREE until midnight EDT October 31, 2013.
Click here to register for this free course.
by Sherri Konzem Boehringer, PharmD, BCPS and Victoria Devore Woodard, PharmD and Susanne J. Pavlovich-Danis, RN, MSN, ARNP-C, CDE, CRRN and James F. Ross, PT, DPT, CSCS
The prevalence of hypertension in the United States has increased from about 50 million in 1988 to 76.4 million in 2008. An estimated one-third of the population, more than 76.4 million Americans, has hypertension. The death rate from high blood pressure increased 20.2% and the actual number of deaths increased 49.7% during the past few years; in 2008, high BP contributed to 347,689 deaths. Fewer than half of Americans with hypertension have met established BP goals. The prevalence of hypertension is highest in non-Hispanic blacks, tends to be higher in women and increases with advancing age. Recent data suggest that even people free of hypertension at age 55 still have a 90% lifetime risk of developing high BP. Because there are so many Americans with hypertension, it is vital for us to recognize hypertension and be familiar with the most common treatments, including lifestyle changes and medications.
The purpose of this program is to inform nurses, dietitians, paramedics and EMTs, pharmacists, physical therapists, physicians and radiologic technologists about current guidelines and drug therapy for the management of hypertension. After studying the information presented here, you will be able to:
- State blood pressure goals in patients with uncomplicated hypertension and in patients with diabetes or renal disease
- Discuss the five components of lifestyle modification
- Discuss the five classes of antihypertensive drugs known to reduce the complications
This free course offering is available until 30 September 2013. Click here to take this free course for Physical Therapists.